LearningWorks YouthBuild Classroom Volunteers work with LearningWorks staff to provide long-term classroom instruction to young men and women who have dropped out of high school but are turning things around to earn a GED, job-site skill training, and support services.
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Location: 181 Brackett Street Portland, ME 04102
- Volunteers will work with students individually or in small groups.
- Volunteers are expected to come on scheduled days, and call the classroom teachers if unable to attend.
- Classroom teachers will communicate goals and strategies for students, as well as materials for the class period. The volunteer will work on these goals with the student.
- Volunteers will communicate needs and wants with classroom teachers and can communicate any areas of interest to focus on with students.
- Volunteers do not need to deal with any potential behavioral issues. Volunteers will refer to LWYB’s teachers or director for support.
Qualifications/Desired Attributes: An interest and commitment to LearningWorks’ mission. At least one year of experience working with young adults. Pleasant manner, patience, and the ability to work independently.