Our English Language + Literacy Program (EL+LP) provides immigrants and refugees the chance to thrive in their new country by offering free one-on-one tutoring and life-skills-based conversation classes. We serve adults from diverse backgrounds and experiences from all over the world including Angola, Belarus, Burundi, The Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, El Salvador, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Guatemala, Honduras, Iran, Iraq, Morocco, Rwanda, Russia, Somalia, South Korea, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria and Vietnam.
ATTENTION! We are currently offering virtual one-on-one tutoring sessions as well as conversation classes. All EL+LP programming is happening online only until further notice. We are still accepting new students AND new tutors! Please contact us for more information!
The one-on-one English tutoring program offers:
- FREE weekly sessions to improve speaking, literacy skills, reading, writing, and/or test prep based on the student’s level and stated goals
- Individualized lessons from trained volunteers to help students gain the skills necessary to be independent in a new country
- A tailored schedule to fit the student’s and tutor’s availability
- Multiple meeting spaces at 181 Brackett Street
- Focus on real-life situations to provide students with practical experience
Conversation Classes offer:
- Beginner and advanced levels at morning and night
- Opportunities to develop oral fluency in a safe and welcoming group environment
- Experienced teachers who provide lessons in conversation, vocabulary, and grammar
- Life-skills topics, guest speakers and information sessions to help immigrants understand cultural expectations and practices in the U.S.
What is the weekly class schedule?
Where do the classes take place?
- 181 Brackett Street in Portland
How do I become a student?
- To apply for one-on-one tutoring or conversation class, you must be at least 18 years old.
- You can use our online application (button below), or come to our office at 181 Brackett Street between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm to complete an application in person. Once we process your application, we will contact you for an interview.
Maine Department of Education
Portland Adult Education
Greater Portland Immigrant Welcome Center
City of Portland ESoL Collaborative
The Opportunity Alliance
Portland Public Library
Portland Office of Economic Opportunity