Payroll and HR Manager
Overview and Position Summary:
Job Code 1000PHR02.08
LearningWorks is a non-profit agency of 50+ years serving the community in afterschool programs, an alternative to high school, community service, and English language learners. The agency uses multiple funding sources in operating these programs.
This person is responsible for the successful operation of the payroll and human resource systems and communications. This person performs duties and tasks in accordance with the standards established for the job. The Payroll and HR Manager may have access to highly confidential employee and/or LearningWorks proprietary information and must handle the information in accordance with company policy, HIPAA requirements, and the highest level of ethical standards. This person performs all job responsibilities according to the Mission and Values of LearningWorks.
Managing risk and ensuring compliance with applicable laws and standards is an important part of this job, as is furthering the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and bringing people together toward shared goals. Essential functions include planning, recruitment, onboarding, training, benefits enrollment, compliance, payroll processing and reporting, employee relations, culture building, and safety and health.
Payroll and benefits communication with the finance team is essential for ensuring a mutual understanding of wage bands, grant compliance requirements, and payroll reporting. Payroll processing requires supportive documentation on hired personnel, payroll system setup of personnel, payroll review of all staff, and payroll reporting to the finance department and grant partners, including audits.
Recruitment, Hiring, Orientation, and On/Offboarding
- Identify effective recruiting strategies, develop job descriptions, create and post positions
- Manage and screen applicants through receipt of application materials, disseminate materials to the hiring manager, assist in the interview process, review applicant materials for approved hiring, retain and manage all related materials and files
- Manage all aspects of the orientation process including processing forms, electronic signatures, and personnel files and systems
- Participate in annual benefits renewals and manage benefit information and enrollments
- Manage all materials and background checks for both employees and volunteers
- Perform all off-boarding information and actions
Compliance and Administration
- Comply with applicable federal, state, and local laws and internal HR policies and procedures
- With guidance from organizational leadership, administer policies related to employee rights and benefits such as FMLA, ADA, unemployment insurance, EEO, Workers’ compensation, disability, and workplace safety and health.
- Coordinate and assist in employee performance evaluations
- Assist in updating job descriptions, HR policies, and Employee Handbook as needed
Employee Relations and Supervisory Support
- Assist employees with complaints and concerns, serving as a trusted resource
- Respond to employee questions regarding wages, time off, benefits, rights, and insurance
- Assist supervisors to resolve personnel issues, support employee retention and build positive employee and interdepartmental relations
- Provide guidance, coordinate, and participate in activities related to disciplinary action
- Work with directors to develop HR-related training for all program staff
Culture, Team, and Safety
- Be a role model and champion for an environment in which all employees feel respected and supported
- Encourage the expansion of ideas, perspectives, and understanding that comes from being in a diverse community
- Provide assessment of office setup for an ergonomically correct environment
- Set up new employee records
- Track and adjust wage, benefit, and demographic information
- Review and correct as well as notify parties for future usage
- Process and report bi-weekly payroll for signatures and Quickbooks data upload
- Work with Paylocity, Finance, and Admin to make system changes for efficiency and reporting
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
WORK EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
Experience using Payroll Systems, Paylocity preferred
Experience in recruitment, retention, onboarding, and building a diverse, inclusive, and equitable culture
Knowledge of HR practices including applicable state and federal regulations
Strong interpersonal skills including tact, discretion, diplomacy, listening, and problem-solving
Ability to work successfully with a wide variety of people, departments, and circumstances
Experience with Microsoft Office
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Working knowledge of wage and hour regulations
Ability to prioritize workload and competing demands
Self-motivated to work efficiently with minimal supervision
Must be accountable for accuracy and timeliness of work
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $53K-$58K annually, depending on experience, skills, and qualifications. It is a full-time, exempt salaried position working 40 hours a week.
Benefits: Health, Dental, Life, HSA(with health insurance enrollment), 152 hrs of PTO to start, 13 paid holidays, bereavement and pet bereavement, 401K after one year of employment and 1000 hours served, family-friendly, flexible environment
We are an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritize the leadership of people of color and LGBTQ individuals, and we strongly encourage people of all traditionally marginalized identities to apply. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any protected category prohibited by local, state, or federal laws
This Job Description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.