English Language and Literacy Vista AmeriCorps
Overview and Position Summary:
The Volunteer Manager will support and build the administrative capacity of the English Language + Literacy Program (ELLP) to meet the educational needs of Greater Portland, Maine’s low-income, non-English-speaking adult immigrants, refugees, asylees, and asylum seekers.
The Volunteer Manager will work closely with the ELLP Program Coordinator and Director of Programs to maintain and increase the quality and/or scope of our volunteer-based educational program for adults using best practices in volunteer management and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) / ESL.
- Recruit, screen, and train volunteer ESL tutors to participate in 1-on-1 adult English tutoring program
- Match new volunteers with adult English learners based on compatibility, schedules, etc.
- Maintain regular communications with and support of a volunteer pool of approximately 100 volunteer tutors who participate in our community-based English program for adult ESL learners
- Design and implement strategies to make the existing program more efficient and sustainable through innovative ideas and projects
- Maintain and improve data management/record keeping
Work Experience and Skills:
Ability to thrive in an independent setting in which ideas, collaboration and innovation are valued
Excitement at the prospect of working for and with New Mainers and community partners to serve a common purpose
The desire to help both adult learners realize their full potential as English speakers and volunteers discover their skills as teachers/cultural liaisons
Experience with or ability to learn how to perform scheduling, record-keeping, and administrative tasks in an office environment
Ability to serve volunteers in a responsive, patient and communicative manner
Experience with, interest in, or ability to learn about TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) or ESL (English as a Second Language)
Experience working with adults (18+ years) of diverse backgrounds
Experience with, interest in, or ability to learn about immigrant and refugee services
Self-starter who can work independently
Familiarity with Microsoft Office and/or database management software
Preferred but not required:
Experience teaching or tutoring learners of any age but particularly adults 18 and over
Experience in volunteer management
Languages other than English beneficial but not required (esp. French, Portuguese, Somali, Arabic, Kirundi)
How to apply:
Copy and paste the below into a browser to be redirected to the application website through AmeriCorps:
You must first Register with AmeriCorps before you can apply.
To Register click on “Apply Now” and then “OK” to register.
We will receive your application through AmeriCorps. Thank You