Job Code 22-2000
Overview and Position Summary:
LearningWorks is seeking a Development Director to design, oversee, and implement all components of our annual fundraising plan. Our Development Director will collaborate with staff and board members to meet individual donor, corporate, foundation, and events fundraising targets. All fundraising at LearningWorks goes directly to supporting free education programs that help people not well served by the traditional education system. We reach over 1,500 Mainers each year with tutoring, mentoring, and alternative education programs designed for the growth and success of all learners. A successful Development Director will engage our staff and board in an organizational culture of philanthropy in which all team members are informed about our goals, have meaningful opportunities to participate in our fundraising efforts, and understand philanthropy as a key component of our nonprofit business model.
- Create annual fundraising plan with goals, benchmarks, timelines, and action items
- Monitor fundraising plan progress and activities
- Identify annual engagement goals for board members and support members in meeting those goals
- Assign and schedule key action items (donor calls, program visits, events, mailings, etc.) for staff and board members for donor engagement and solicitation
- Write private foundation grants and coordinate corresponding site visits, acknowledgements, presentations, and final reports
- Work with corporate sponsors to build relationships, create engagement opportunities, and pitch sponsorship opportunities for LearningWorks programs and events
- Collaborate with staff and board to create and implement annual major fundraising event to raise awareness of our mission and raise critical funding for our free programs
- Ensure all donors have an active stewardship plan
- Manage donor database and regularly produce reports and updates for executive director and board to ensure annual fundraising processes and plans are driven by data
- Provide reports and strategically engage board of directors and development committee in meeting fundraising targets
- Assist with preparation and submission of state, local, and federal funding applications
- Develop strong connections to our community and engage them in our work to meet fundraising goals
- 3-5 years previous experience working at a high level in fundraising and philanthropy for nonprofit organizations
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Demonstrated experience meeting fundraising targets for nonprofit organizations
- Ability to use – or quickly learn – multiple computer and software programs, including: Microsoft Office products like Outlook, Word, Powerpoint and Excel; Google Workspace, including Google Docs, Forms, and Sheets; design software (Adobe Creative Suite and / or Canva); CRM (Bloomerang preferred); WordPress
- Outgoing, friendly, and kind; enjoys connecting with lots of different people from all backgrounds, can work a room at an event, and is comfortable moving seamlessly from desk work to program visits at local schools to formal fundraising events throughout the work week
Compensation and Benefits
LearningWorks offers a benefits package that includes generous PTO (152 hours to start, with incremental increases), 8 weeks paid parental leave, 13 paid holidays plus additional time off between Christmas and New Year’s Day, medical/dental/life insurance, Bereavement, Health Reimbursement Account, and a matched 401(k) retirement savings plan, after one year of employment. In addition, we offer flexible scheduling and remote work options. The annual salary for this position is $75,000.
TO APPLY: Please take some time to familiarize yourself with our organization, what we do, and what we believe in. If you are inspired to join our team, please complete our online application and attach your resume and a thoughtful cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We prioritize the leadership of people of color and LGBTQ individuals, and we strongly encourage people of all traditionally marginalized identities to apply. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state, or federal laws
This Job Description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.