Culinary & Hospitality Teacher-YouthBuild
Job Code CHT3010
Overview and Position Summary:
The Culinary and Hospitality Teacher of LearningWorks YouthBuild (LWYB) is the vocational instructor of a nationally accredited program working with young men and women aged 16-24 who have not had success in traditional school settings. The Culinary and Hospitality Teacher is part of a dynamic team of professionals who, together, manage all components of a comprehensive academic, vocational, and career pathways training program for traditionally underserved young people. This position’s primary role is to teach key competencies relevant to a career in the culinary and hospitality industries and to support students in earning industry-recognized credentials in these fields, including, but not limited to ProStart, ServSafe, AHLEI Guest Service Gold, and AHLEI START credentials.
This position contributes to the accomplishment of the organization’s mission through planning and implementing effective lessons with students both in the classroom and in our commercial kitchen space. This may include working with students as a group and on an individual basis, as well as lesson planning and curriculum development for all aspects of our Culinary and Hospitality pathway. This position also supports our job development efforts through the cultivation of external partnerships with other programs and potential employers as well as direct work with students and alumni who are interested in careers in the culinary and/or hospitality fields.
RESPONSIBILITIES: (essential functions of the job)
Manages the occupational skills training and associated curriculum of the LWYB Culinary and Hospitality program, and ensures that this key program component meets and maintains a standard of excellence:
Develops positive, respectful, and meaningful relationships with students. Creates a dynamic, kind, and positive classroom/kitchen work environment. Tailors instruction in order to meet a wide variety of learning needs and styles.
Teaches the certification curricula (ProStart, AHLEI, ServSafe) to students in adherence with prescribed proficiency benchmarks. Administers module tests tracks participant results, and maintains records. Provides additional support to students where needed;
- Ensures kitchen and workplace safety, modeling and reinforcing proper techniques and all safety procedures
- Sets and maintains high standards for classroom and kitchen behavior and academic achievement for all students
- Supports the academic and leadership goals of the program by incorporating both of these into culinary and hospitality program activities whenever possible.
- Assists in the development of job opportunities for students in conjunction with other members of LWYB staff and, where appropriate, assists students in setting career goals
- Cultivates and maintains professional working relationships with a variety of external partners in the culinary and hospitality industries to help support LWYB’s program, students, and alumni
- Serves as an advisor to a small group of students and participates in alumni follow-up activities and community service events
- Provides oversight for culinary events and catering opportunities involving our students.
- Submits student attendance, participation, grading, and certificate data in a timely fashion
- Participates as part of the staff team in the recruitment of students, the development or updating of programs and initiatives, and in the support of alumni and alumni programs
- Collaborates consistently and proactively with colleagues in sharing group responsibilities, covering scheduling gaps, and working on collective projects
- Attends meetings and training as required by LearningWorks YouthBuild and LearningWorks
- Develops culinary and hospitality budget, purchases food and consumables weekly, and monitors costs
- Performs other related tasks and assumes other related responsibilities as needed or requested
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is competitive with other non-profit organizations and depends on experience, skills, and qualifications. It is a regular, full-time, exempt position working 40 hours a week.
Benefits: Health, Dental, Life, HSA(with health insurance enrollment), 152 hrs of PTO to start, 11 paid holidays, as well as Christmas Break between Christmas and New Year, bereavement and pet bereavement, 401K after one year of employment and 1000 hours served, family-friendly, flexible environment
TO APPLY: Please take some time to familiarize yourself with our organization, what we do, and what we believe in. If you are inspired to join our team, please complete our online application and attach your resume and a thoughtful cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
We are an equal-opportunity employer. We prioritize the leadership of people of color and LGBTQ individuals, and we strongly encourage people of all traditionally marginalized identities to apply. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any protected category prohibited by local, state, or federal laws
This Job Description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.