Afterschool Ed Tech-Assistant
Overview and Position Summary:
PLEASE INDICATE THE JOB CODE BY LOCATION
Our team is seeking energetic, emotionally intelligent, and engaging Classroom Assistants (Ed Techs) who believe in the power of education and who are committed to helping children thrive. Part-time school year-only positions are currently available at multiple program sites at elementary and primary schools in Biddeford, Saco, Portland, and Waterboro, Maine.
Program is not scheduled on school holidays and vacations, district-wide teacher PD days, and weather cancellation days. The program’s end date may be delayed, depending on the number of school cancellation days experienced in the school year.
Outside of active program times identified above, additional time is allotted to plan and prepare activities, attend staff meetings, and to participate in mandatory professional development sessions. This position can anticipate up to 12 work hours per week during active program periods, with occasional opportunities for additional paid work hours upon invitation.
This is a part-time, fixed term school year-only position.
LearningWorks AfterSchool serves low-performing students in grades Pre-K through 5th in 11 elementary schools in Southern Maine. Students participate in hands-on engineering design challenges that embed literacy, math, and social emotional learning, to build key skills for school success: academic confidence, taking initiative, problem-solving, communication, and perseverance. Eligible students are identified collaboratively by LearningWorks Afterschool Directors, Site Coordinators, and school staff. LearningWorks Afterschool is a Title IV program that is primarily funded by the Maine Department of Education 21st Century Community Learning Center grant program, and is offered in partnership with local school departments.
The Classroom Assistant in the LearningWorks AfterSchool program will be responsible for assisting the teachers and site coordinator in implementing a 4-day/week 30-week program focused on Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM) curriculum and enrichment activities (health/wellness, cultural, social-emotional learning).
Although LearningWorks Afterschool intends to provide in-person programming in 2022-2023, this position is responsible for delivering engaging, academic, hands-on lessons and activities that can pivot between possible remote, hybrid, and in-person scenarios as needed throughout the school year. The dates and duration of implementing these scenarios are subject to change based on public health data from the Maine CDC, and local health and safety data.
RESPONSIBILITIES: (essential functions of the job)
- Collaborate with a team to support planning of remote or in-person STEAM curriculum and enrichment activities linked to students’ prior knowledge, interests, experiences, and in alignment with school-day curriculum.
- Engage students in a physically and emotionally safe, structured, organized learning environment.
- Build positive relationships with students and actively support, model, encourage, and inspire them in healthy lifestyle choices (personal, social and academic). Assist with student behavior challenges as needed.
- Support and reinforce consistent, clear, and positive expectations for online or in-person learning and behavior that complement those of the elementary school.
- Utilize best practices to meet grant goals and reflect the program mission.
- Participate in weekly team meetings to communicate program delivery, needs, reflection, and goals for improvement.
- Participate in required, virtual professional development training.
- Monitor email daily, and communicate and respond in a timely manner with directors, coordinators, and teams.
- Support instruction of an in-person STEAM curriculum and enrichment activities, in alignment with the Learning Framework and guidance from LW Site Directors, and following all safety and health guidelines.
- As needed, assist and support students with troubleshooting technology use, connection and access challenges.
- As needed, assist in the organization and weekly delivery of STEM materials kits directly to students.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the site coordinator or directors.
- Stay informed of, follow, implement, and inform teams of all current CDC and local guidelines regarding social distancing, program delivery, and physical and emotional safety for students, teams, and programs.
- Conduct oneself in a professional manner at all times, in accordance with program expectations, online safety, and remote and in-person learning guidelines.
State of Maine Ed Tech Certification or demonstrated experience
BA or BS degree in Education or related field
WORK EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
- Experience working with youth, elementary-aged youth preferred;
- Work with diverse communities, ELL students, and low-performing populations preferred;
- Strong communication, interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills;
- Experience and demonstrated understanding of and ability to use various technology including but not limited to: tablets and laptops, smart boards, Microsoft Outlook, Google Drive Suite, Zoom, Google Sites, FlipGrid, online timesheets, best practices in internet use and safety;
- Trained or certified in CPR and First Aid preferred;
- Some experience with remote/virtual/blended youth education and enrichment programs;
- Flexibility, thoughtfulness, and the ability to creatively problem solve;
- Growth mindset and a willingness to learn and apply innovative learning platforms and approaches;
- Demonstrated ability to embrace change;
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate in a team setting; and
A personal and professional commitment to our organization’s values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
PORTLAND (JOB CODE:22-7200) Hourly Rate $18, Hours per week up to 11
Grades 2 through 5
Now – May 25, 2023 (last day subject to change)
- East End Community School, Ocean Avenue Elementary School, or Talbot Community School
2:10pm – 4:10pm Mon, Tues, Thurs, 1:10 – 4:10pmM Wednesdays
- Rowe Elementary School, Presumpscot Elementary School, or Reiche Community School
3:30pm-5:30pm Mon, Tues, Thurs, 2:30-5:30 pm Wednesdays
BIDDEFORD (JOB CODE:22-7240) Hourly Rate $18, Hours per week up to 10
Biddeford Primary School, JFK Memorial Kindergarten Center, Biddeford Intermediate
Grades Pre-K through 4th grade
Now – June 1, 2023 (last day subject to change)
2:00pm – 4:00pm, Mon.-Thur.
SACO (JOB CODE: 22-7290) Hourly Rate $16, Hours per week up to 11
K – 2nd Grade
Now – June 1st, 2023 (last day subject to change)
2:15pm – 4:15pm, Mon-Thur.
WATERBORO (JOB CODE: 22-7280) Hourly Rate $16, Hours per week up to 12
Waterboro Elementary School
Grades 2 through 5
Now – June 1st, 2023 (last day subject to change)
3:05pm – 5:05pm, Mon.-Thur.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We prioritize the leadership of people of color and LGBTQ individuals, and we strongly encourage people of all traditionally marginalized identities to apply. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state, or federal laws
This Job Description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.