After School Teacher-Summer
Job Code PT 19-04-12
Overview and Position Summary:
The Teacher will be responsible for planning and implementing a 4-day/week program focused on Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM) curriculum and enrichment activities (health/wellness, cultural, social-emotional learning). LearningWorks Afterschool Program (LWAS) serves low-performing students in grades 2-5 in six Portland and two South Portland elementary schools.
Students participate in engineering design challenges with embedded literacy and math instruction and hands-on projects to build key skills for school success: team-work, team-building, problem-solving, communication, perseverance – all in an experiential and supportive learning environment. LWAS is funded through federal 21st Century Community Learning Center grants and is offered in partnership with the Portland and South Portland School Districts.
Portland program sites are at Reiche, East End, Ocean Avenue, Presumpscot, Rowe, and Riverton Elementary Schools. The program runs for 4 hours in the morning, Monday – Thursday, for 5 weeks. Precise times vary with each site. Additional time for meeting and planning is allotted.
This position begins July 8th through August 8th, 2019 with opportunities for continued employment. Additional training and program planning days will be added prior to the program start date.
RESPONSIBILITIES: (essential functions of the job)
- Collaborate with site coordinator to plan STEAM curriculum and enrichment activities linked to students’ prior knowledge, interests, experiences, and school-day curriculum.
- Create and implement daily lesson plans that are developmentally-appropriate, student-centered, relevant, highly engaging, and reflect the program and grant goals.
- Be prepared daily with lesson plans, materials, and sub plans if absent.
- Work in a team of teachers, ed techs, and volunteers to build positive student relationships and actively support, model, and encourage healthy lifestyle choices (personal, social academic).
- Establish and enforce consistent, clear, and positive expectations for learning and behavior that complement those of the elementary school.
- Be present and actively engaged with students at all times while program is in session.
- Provide supervision on field trips off-site with students and staff team.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings and required professional development trainings.
- Conduct oneself in a professional manner at all times. Perform other duties as assigned by the site coordinator or directors.
State of Maine Ed Tech Certification, or demonstrate eligibility
BA or BS degree in Education or related field
WORK EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
Teaching elementary-aged youth preferred
Strong communication, interpersonal, organizational, time management and
Flexibility, thoughtfulness, and ability to creatively problem solve
Regular, Part time-Direct Service, Non-Exempt Position
Hourly Rate: $20.00
Now accepting applications until all positions are filled.
Incomplete applications or missing materials will not be considered for this position.