After School Site Coordinator, South Portland
Job Code JOB CODE #SPSC 7250-01-30-19
Overview and Position Summary:
This South Portland, Skillin, After School Site Coordinator will be responsible for implementing a 4-day/week program focused on Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM) curriculum and enrichment activities (health/wellness, cultural, social-emotional learning). The Site Coordinator will also be responsible for daily parent communication, management of activities and schedule, and supervision of a site team consisting of teachers, ed techs, and volunteers.
LearningWorks Afterschool Program (LWAS) serves low-performing students in grades 2-5 in eleven elementary schools across Portland, South Portland, Biddeford, and Waterboro. Students participate in engineering design challenges with embedded literacy and math instruction and hands-on projects to build key skills for school success: team-work, team-building, problem-solving, communication, perseverance – all in an experiential and supportive learning environment. LWAS is funded through federal 21st Century Community Learning Center grants and is offered in partnership with the Portland, South Portland, Biddeford, and RSU 57 school districts.
South Portland program sites are at Skillin and Kaler Elementary Schools.
Program schedule is Monday to Thursday approximately 2:00-5:30, depending on site assignment, with additional daily planning/prep time and monthly training.
This position runs from September 10, 2018 (pre-program planning/training; program start September 17, 2018) and ends late May/early June (depending on snow days) with opportunities for continued summer employment.
RESPONSIBILITIES: (essential functions of the job)
- Collaborate with the LWAS Directors and school administrators/staff in recruitment and enrollment process.
- Communicate with parents and school administrators/staff regarding student enrollment, participation, behavior, progress, and to promote program visibility and family events.
- Lead weekly site team meetings to communicate program planning, needs, reflection, and goals for improvement.
- Oversee daily implementation and instruction of STEAM curriculum and enrichment activities.
- Supervise site team consisting of teachers, ed techs, and volunteers. Assist with behavior challenges, as needed.
- Ensure students and site team are in a physically/emotionally safe, structured, organized learning environment.
- Build positive relationships with students and actively support, model, encourage, and inspire them in healthy lifestyle choices (personal, social and academic).
- Be present and actively engaged with students and site team at all times while program is in session; fill in as ed tech or teacher as needed.
- Utilize best practices to maintain consistent student attendance and meet grant enrollment/attendance targets.
- Coordinate and communicate with transportation and food services, as needed.
- Keep accurate and timely records of: attendance, snack/meal counts, center activities, and student records.
- Assist the LWAS Directors in development of enrichment activities, schedules, and curriculum.
- Attend and participate in required LWAS staff trainings.
- Attend 21st CCLC grant meetings, trainings, and conferences as required by the LWAS Directors.
- Assist the LWAS Directors in scheduling and coordinating field trips, community partner visits/events, family events, presentations, and special guests. Communicate schedules and calendars with site team and volunteers.
- Assist the LWAS Directors in planning and executing family engagement events as required by the grant.
- Conduct oneself in a professional manner at all times.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the LWAS Directors.
State of Maine Teaching Certification or demonstrate eligibility
BA or BS degree in Education or related field
WORK EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
Minimum 2 years teaching experience; experience with elementary-aged youth preferred
Supervisory and/or leadership experience
Strong communication, interpersonal, organizational, time management, and computer/technology skills
Flexibility, thoughtfulness, and the ability to creatively problem solve
Part time, Regular, Direct Service, Non-Exempt Position
Hourly Rate: $21.00
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS
Complete the online application, attach your resume and a cover letter.
Incomplete applications and materials will not be considered for this position.