After School Ed Tech Portland/So Portland
Job Code 7200-08-06-18-PET
Overview and Position Summary:
JOB SUMMARY: The Ed Tech will be responsible for assisting the teachers and site coordinator in implementing a 4-day/week program focused on Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics (STEAM) curriculum and enrichment activities (health/wellness, cultural, social-emotional learning).
LearningWorks Afterschool Program (LWAS) serves low-performing students in grades 2-5 in eleven elementary schools across Portland, South Portland, Biddeford, and Waterboro. Students participate in engineering design challenges with embedded literacy and math instruction and hands-on projects to build key skills for school success: team-work, team-building, problem-solving, communication, perseverance – all in an experiential and supportive learning environment. LWAS is funded through federal 21st Century Community Learning Center grants and is offered in partnership with the Portland, South Portland, Biddeford, and RSU 57 school districts.
Portland program sites are: Reiche, East End, Ocean Avenue, Presumpscot, Riverton, and Rowe Elementary Schools.
South Portland program sites are at Skillin and Kaler Elementary Schools.
Program schedule is Monday to Thursday approximately 2:00-5:30 (precise times vary depending on site assignment), with additional daily planning, weekly meeting, and monthly training time.
This position begins September 10, 2018 (pre-program planning/training; program start September 17, 2018) and ends late May/early June (depending on snow days) with opportunities for continued summer employment.
- Collaborate with site coordinator and teachers to plan STEAM curriculum and enrichment activities linked to students’ prior knowledge, interests, experiences, and school-day curriculum.
- Build positive relationships with students and actively support, model, encourage, and inspire them in healthy lifestyle choices (personal, social and academic).
- Be present and actively engaged with students at all times while program is in session.
- Assist in establishing and enforcing consistent, clear, and positive expectations for learning and behavior that complement those of the elementary school and support student learning.
- Provide supervision on monthly field trips off-site with students and staff team.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings and required professional development trainings.
- Conduct oneself in a professional manner at all times as part of a team of educators.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the directors or site coordinator.
State of Maine Ed Tech Certification, or demonstrate eligibility
BA or BS degree in Education or related field
WORK EXPERIENCE & SKILLS
Experience working with elementary-aged youth preferred
Strong communication, interpersonal, organizational, time management and computer/technology skills
Flexibility, thoughtfulness, and ability to creatively problem solve
Part Time, Regular Position, Non-Exempt
Hourly Rate: $14.75
NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2018-19 SCHOOL YEAR
Please visit our website, complete the online application, attach your resume and a cover letter.
Incomplete applications and materials will not be considered for this position.