Our English Language + Literacy Program (EL+LP) provides immigrants and refugees the chance to thrive in their new country by offering free one-on-one tutoring and life-skills-based conversation classes. We serve adults from diverse backgrounds and experiences from all over the world including Angola, Belarus, Burundi, The Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, El Salvador, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Guatemala, Honduras, Iran, Iraq, Morocco, Rwanda, Russia, Somalia, South Korea, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria and Vietnam.
The one-on-one English tutoring program offers:
- FREE weekly sessions to improve speaking, literacy skills, reading, writing, and/or test prep based on the student’s level and stated goals
- Individualized lessons from trained volunteers to help students gain the skills necessary to be independent in a new country
- A tailored schedule to fit the student’s and tutor’s availability
- Multiple meeting spaces at 181 Brackett Street
- Focus on real-life situations to provide students with practical experience
How do I become a student?
- To apply for one-on-one tutoring, you must be at least 18 years old.
- Use our online application button below!
Maine Department of Education
Portland Adult Education
Greater Portland Immigrant Welcome Center
City of Portland ESoL Collaborative
The Opportunity Alliance
Portland Public Library
Portland Office of Economic Opportunity
Literacy Volunteers of Franklin + Somerset County
Literacy Volunteers of Kennebec