We are currently seeking several English Language + Literacy volunteers. Please see the varying positions listed below.
In 1973, Literacy Volunteers of Greater Portland was formed to recruit, train, and support volunteers to provide free, confidential, student-centered educational programs for small groups and individuals to improve reading, writing, and related literacy skills. Literacy Volunteers of Greater Portland joined LearningWorks in November 2009; now known as the English Language + Literacy Program, its services continue to support a diverse student population of English language learning adults in the Greater Portland area.
To Become a Volunteer:
- Fill out the online application.
- Attend an orientation to learn more about the program and volunteer expectations, and to ask questions.
- Receive tutor training to gain the skills and strategies needed to be an effective literacy tutor.
- Get assigned an individual student or group.
Current volunteer needs:
- One-on-one tutors: We are currently seeking English Language + Literacy volunteers to meet the needs of the students on our waitlist who have applied to be matched with a tutor. There are nearly 40 students currently on our waitlist.
- Deliver 2-4 hours of Enrichment instruction/week for a predetermined time.
- Attend regularly scheduled volunteer meetings.
- Work in concert with program staff to create and plan lessons.
- Support program staff’s efforts to assess student progress.
- A sincere desire to be of service to new community members
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to fill out short monthly reports
- Fluent in English
- Ability to tutor for at least 6 months at a minimum of 1.5 hours per week
- Clear communication as needed with program staff
Please use button below to apply to any of these ELL volunteer opportunities. Thank you.APPLY NOW