AMERICORPS FULL-TIME MEMBER POSITION
Each AIMS HIGH school has a single Full-Time Lead AmeriCorps member. Lead members in the AIMS HIGH program play an important role as a point of contact with school teachers, administrators, and AIMS HIGH program staff while also providing direct service with students. Lead members are peer leaders, helping to coordinate other members, programs, and activities at their school site. Lead members are not supervisors, but are expected to be a peer model for others. They also support new members through orientation to school and provide guidance to other members throughout their service.
- Self-motivated with a high degree of flexibility.
- Clear, concise oral and written communication.
- Ability to manage time, set priorities, plan and implement projects effectively.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a related field preferred.
- Willing to have a full FBI and SBI background check as well as a National Sex Offender Search check.
- At least 17 years of age at the time of enrollment.
- U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident.
- Earned a high school diploma or high school equivalency.
Essential Functions include the ability to:
- Lead a team of other AmeriCorps members and assist with matching them with appropriate activities.
- Work and effectively communicate with teachers and administrators.
- Tutor, mentor, and nurture students.
- Aid teachers and enrich learning through grade-level classroom assistance.
- Engage parents and family members in students’ education.
- Speak clearly and effectively to groups (large and small).
- Work independently as well as part of a team.
- Facilitate meetings of diverse participants.
- Use basic computer software such as Microsoft Office and navigate the internet.
- Be able to serve consistently and reliably.
- Abide by all AmeriCorps service rules and service provisions.
- Submit timesheets every two weeks.
Desired Functions include ability to:
- Recruit and manage volunteers.
- Conduct community and parent outreach.
- Promote and support service-learning.
- Develop and execute enrichment activities and lesson plans.
Required Trainings and meetings that AIMS HIGH Members will participate in:
- Program orientation
- Monthly team meetings
- AmeriCorps training and events with the Maine State Commission for Community Service
- Community service activities
- Other events as assigned including meetings or functions (occasionally on evenings or weekends)
Benefits and Terms:
- A taxable living allowance of $13,732 for the term of service.
- Upon successful completion of a term of service, eligible members/leaders receive an education award of an amount up to $5,815. The education award can be used to repay qualified student loans or for further education in an accredited institution of higher learning, vocational, or trade school. The education award is taxable in the year that it is used.
- Loan forbearance. (After successful completion of a term of service, AmeriCorps will pay a portion or all the accrued interest on qualified loans, which is taxable.)
- Basic ACA compliant medical insurance. (Covers members only, not dependents).
- Mileage reimbursement for travel between program sites, meetings, and/or assignments.
- Child care allowance for those who qualify.
- Professional development, trainings, and networking opportunities.
- Position are contingent upon a pending award from the Corporation for National and Community Service.
Please note: LearningWorks AIMS HIGH AmeriCorps members commit to full-time service for the contract dates and other terms. For more information about Member service, visit the AmeriCorps website at www.americorps.gov. See application for deadlines.
This project is sponsored by the Maine Commission for Community Service (MCCS). MCCS builds capacity and sustainability in Maine’s volunteer and service communities. Funding for the LearningWorks-AmeriCorps AIMS HIGH program is provided by the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS).
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Accommodation arrangements must be requested in advance by contacting us at AIMSHIGH@learningworks.me.