Position Description: Full-Time Lead AmeriCorps Member
Our Full-Time Lead positions are filled for 2019-2020, but we are actively enrolling Half-Time Members to serve full-time from January to August 2020. The Full-Time Lead application for the 2020-2021 Service Year will open in February.
Aim High places teams of dedicated AmeriCorps Members in four local elementary schools, where they serve as tutors and mentors for students that need extra support. Ideal candidates believe in the power of education and are committed to helping children thrive.
Our AmeriCorps Members support students’ academic, social, and emotional development by:
- Tutoring and mentoring students one-on-one
- Instructing small groups of students
- Supporting teachers in the classroom
- Leading extended learning opportunities, like afterschool clubs and summer day camps
In addition to working directly with students, the Full-Time Lead Member captains a team of up to thirteen AmeriCorps Members by:
- Orienting new Members to the school
- Coordinating classroom placements and activities
- Providing guidance and building team morale
Prior experience in education or a related field is helpful but not required. Members work with an experienced supervisor and receive training to fully equip them for their service, including orientation, weekly team meetings, and relevant workshops throughout the year.
AmeriCorps membership is unique in that it blends the responsibilities and professional development of employment with the life-changing experience of volunteering. Full-Time Members serve 40 hours per week in order to complete 1,700 hours of service in their term. A term lasts for the full academic year and ensuing summer programming.
- $14,000 living allowance for the year (gross pay of about $1,080 per month)
- $6,095 education award*
- Student loan forbearance**
- Health insurance
- Childcare allowance if eligible
- At least 17 years of age at the time of enrollment
- U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (green card holder)
- High school diploma or high school equivalency
- Willingness to undergo a full FBI and SBI background check as well as a National Sex Offender Registry check
- Tutor, mentor, and nurture students
- Lead a team of other AmeriCorps members and assist with matching them with appropriate activities
- Work and effectively communicate with teachers and administrators
- Aid teachers and enrich learning through grade-level classroom assistance
- Serve consistently and reliably
- Speak clearly and effectively to large and small groups
- Work independently as well as part of a team
- Facilitate meetings of diverse participants
- Use basic computer software such as Microsoft Office and navigate the internet
- Abide by all AmeriCorps rules and provisions
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Accommodation arrangements must be requested in advance by contacting program staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All Full-Time Lead Member positions have been filled for our 2019-2020 Service Year. Please consider applying for our Half-Time or Minimum-Time positions, or check back in Spring 2020 for Full-Time positions in our 2020-2021 program year.
*Segal education awards are granted to members upon successful completion of their service term. An award can be used to pay higher education tuition, expenses, or qualified student loan debt. It may be used immediately after service or within seven years following the term. Members over the age of 55 can choose to gift their education award to a child or grandchild immediately or within ten years following the term. The education award is taxable in the year it is used. Over two hundred colleges and universities across the country acknowledge the value of AmeriCorps service by matching Segal education awards. See the full list here.
**Student loan forbearance allows Members to 1) defer payment of their student loans during their term of service and 2) decrease their overall loan debt through the forgiveness of interest that accumulates during the term of service. Most federal student loans qualify for this benefit, but prospective members should contact their loan providers to see if they qualify for forbearance or other benefits.
. . .
For more information about AmeriCorps Membership, visit www.americorps.gov.
LearningWorks Aim High is sponsored by Volunteer Maine, which builds capacity and sustainability in Maine’s volunteer and service communities. Funding is provided by the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS), and positions are contingent upon a pending award from CNCS.